Sunday, February 26, 2012

OK, explain to me why people will have rat poison around their house when they have pets?

I mean, really?



In the past hour, there have been 2 questions on here about dogs that have been accidentally been poisoned by eating a poisoned rat.



Why would you have the poison in the home with pets? Dogs usually eat stupid things, and slow moving, poisoned rats are stupid things!!!



Do people not understand that there are many other better and safer methods of ending rat problems? Glue boards, snap traps, live catch traps and exclusionary treatments.



So why do people put their pets in risk???OK, explain to me why people will have rat poison around their house when they have pets?I dont know. Trapping works so much better, in my opinion. I'm not really sure how rat poison works, because honestly, I have never used it.



Not only that, but they are putting their kids in danger...what if a toddler got into the stuff? Or was bit by one of these rats?OK, explain to me why people will have rat poison around their house when they have pets?
That's what I asked myself when I read that question. Why would you let your dog get a poisoned rat - let alone twice!



Dogs get into anything and everything. They are like children - they don't know better. I tell my husband anything the dog can reach is fair game for her to chew on or eat. Pick it up!



Cleaners, chemicals, lawn fertilizers, weed killers, types of mulch, types of flowers, insecticides, ant traps, rat traps, pools, human foods gosh the list goes on. Summer is not a safe time for pets. People need to think about there well being - especially now in summer time.OK, explain to me why people will have rat poison around their house when they have pets?My uncrateable Dobe ate the glue boards and the mice refused the snap traps so I went to poison and none of the dogs ever ate the dying mouse. But I went outside with the dogs and found him. My dogs were used to living with hamsters, mice, guinea pigs and birds so it was unlikely they would have eaten a wild one. My g/f and her hubby also used poison with their several dogs w/o a problem.OK, explain to me why people will have rat poison around their house when they have pets?
I have no idea.



The glue traps and snap traps aren't much safer. I was at the vet once, and overheard a lady telling the receptionist about her dogs injury, the dog had stepped on a snap trap and it fractured her foot. My neighbor now swears off glue traps because her kitten got stuck on one and it ripped the skin off of its tail.



I think its best to get rid of a rat via humane trap. It keeps everyone safe and happy.OK, explain to me why people will have rat poison around their house when they have pets?i lso love some of the answers... i read one where a girl was questioning her recipie she made for her dog, ad someone answered, "if she loved it, then its fine!"



well, dog's LOVE antifreeze, but its lethal!!! i dont know why ppl arent more careful, but that would mean i was the pot calling the kettle black... i had a message on here about how may raisins were too many.... after my dog got into 1 oz of choc covered raisins.. some ppl forget, like me... i am not by any means condoning these actions, but, we are, after all, only human! i am quite sure these ppl will be more careful in the future and i hope their dog is ok... sometimes, you have to learn the hard way.. however, if it were their child, they'd be reported to dcf.. so, hhmmm.. i just dunno
Sometimes they don't realize until it is too late. other times, the rat could have come from being poisoned by the neighbors. People are only human, and mistakes will happen. The thing that is angering is why they would come online to ask what to do rather than driving directly to a vet for immediate treatment.OK, explain to me why people will have rat poison around their house when they have pets?
The 3 questions I saw, were all from the same person. Sounds like a kid--the parents did take the dog to the vet after the 1st question, the kid sounded totally panicked in the other questions.



I have no idea what people think when putting out poisons. We had a neighbor that put mouse bait out, and was confused to see her cat dead in her yard the next day.
Well, some folks do not know better and now they do..I just hope the dogs are okay and they think long and hard about what is in and around there homes before letting a pet to their own devices! Many people do not focus on plants and things of that nature either..But I hope some of us learn and the dogs are okay!OK, explain to me why people will have rat poison around their house when they have pets?
OK. I thought I was the only person ignorant to the HUGE rat problem that could only be solved by leaving rat poison laying around. Besides today's poison rat snack, I've seen way too many lately who's dogs have actually consumed the poison %26amp; what should they do???? Grrrrrrr...........
Good question.



I don't put my pets at risk. I use the regular old traps with peanut butter on them and hide them where the dogs can't get to them.



Although others have made valid points. The snap traps or other traps could seriously hurt a dog.
I think they assume their little doggies know better than to eat the poisoned rats. It's closely related to the "dogs are people in fur suits" thinking, or it's just ignorance.



Also, it's just plain SAD.
Actually three questions - same person.



Responsible owners don't put their pets at risk, though accidents do happen.



Common sense is so hard to find these days!
I have read the same questions and totally agree with you. My cousin's dog went blind from eating that stuff. I guess a lot of people in this world are very ignorant.
They think their animals are smart I guess
Luckily I don't have neighbors who will poison rats... otherwise I'd have to scan my yard EVERY time I let the dogs out.

No comments:

Post a Comment