Sunday, February 26, 2012

Does the owner of the trailer park have the right to say no pets allowed if I'm buying the trailer?

I want to purchase a really nice trailer in a trailer park, but the park owner has a no pets policy. Can he legally do that if I will own the trailer and be making payments, and the pets I would keep are two cats that never go outside? I realize the land isn't mind, but the trailer itself would be.Does the owner of the trailer park have the right to say no pets allowed if I'm buying the trailer?Yes of course. You do not own the land. Your cats would be on his land, which he has specified is not acceptable. Your property rights can not deny him his rights. You have the right to remove the cats or the trailer itself from his land, but not to force him to have animals on his land.Does the owner of the trailer park have the right to say no pets allowed if I'm buying the trailer?Of course the owner can do as he pleases as long as it doesn't interfere with the rights of others. So yes, the landlord has that right when you sign on a contract. This contract is binding and since you agreed, it's said and done- no pets on *his* property.



The most likely reason behind not having pets is just an issue of liability. What if someone had a pet dog who got out and attacked someone? Since the incident happened on the owner's property, he is liable for the injuries and will have to pay restitution. To insure that he will not have that issue, he has said no pets. If you want a pet, you'll have to go elsewhere where you are liable for your actions, such as purchasing a lot in a park.Does the owner of the trailer park have the right to say no pets allowed if I'm buying the trailer?I would check state and local laws on that one. I could see a "No Dog" policy because they have to be taken out and not every tenant is going to act responsible taking care that their dog is leashed and cleaned up after. I see no reason that you couldn't have cats that are never outside.Does the owner of the trailer park have the right to say no pets allowed if I'm buying the trailer?
Yes, the park landlord has that right. Even though you own the actual trailer, the land on which it sits isn't yours. That gives the landowner the right to impose such restrictions on tenants. I suspect that the landlord has had issues in the past with roaming pets.

No comments:

Post a Comment